Thursday, April 30, 2015

Anyone Is Capable - Response & Refection #2 by Gennesis Ayala

Rape is an unfortunate situation that I have been aware and warned about since a young age. I was taught that rape is an action that was committed by men towards women, but Beloved has taught me otherwise. While reading Beloved I was surprised and saddened to learn that rape can happen to anyone and can be committed by anyone. I have heard many stories of cases of rape, all committed by men and the victims were women. I have never been told of a story where a man was the victim or a woman was the offender of a situation of sexual abuse until I read Beloved.
While Paul D was in prison for trying to kill someone, he witnessed a fellow inmate “taking a bit of foreskin” instead of getting a “gunshot to his head” (127), meaning that the inmate was forced into oral rape so the prison guard wouldn’t shoot him to death. This shows a man being sexually abused by another man. This is an unfortunate event that Paul D had to witness and a cringing passage that made me rethink of what I thought I already knew about rape. Another passage that made me rethink my knowledge of rape is when Beloved demands that Paul D touches her “on the inside part” and calls her by her name (137). Although that did happen, Paul D is “convinced he didn’t want to” (148). If Paul D was convinced that he did not want to have sex with Beloved, then this leads to the thought that Beloved may have raped Paul D since it was against his will. These passages have allowed me to see that rape does not only come from a male towards a female, but can also come from a male towards another male or a female towards a male. Although it wasn’t shown in the book, I now believe that sexual abuse can also be committed from a female to another female. Beloved has allowed my knowledge on sexual abuse to expand and recognize that sexual abuse can be committed by anyone and anyone can a victim, despite a persons gender.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very important point to make. When Toni Morrison included both male and female rape in Beloved, she moved her story to focus more on the racism behind it. As this occurs it brings the reader deeper into the characters lives by putting their viewpoints further into the life of a slave because in reality both men and women slaves were treated as property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very important point to make. When Toni Morrison included both male and female rape in Beloved, she moved her story to focus more on the racism behind it. As this occurs it brings the reader deeper into the characters lives by putting their viewpoints further into the life of a slave because in reality both men and women slaves were treated as property.

    ReplyDelete