Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Sad Truth - Response and Reflection by Gennesis Ayala

Through out my years at school, I remember being taught about the unfortunate treatment of slaves. Learning about the terrible facts on African Americans is something that has always disturbed me. It’s sad to believe that we once had a large and unfair racial divide in our country. However, all though I was taught about the behavior towards African Americans during this unfortunate time, I was never taken into detail on the treatment of women during that time, especially African American woman. Beloved has opened my eyes to see the world through the eyes of slaves, specifically Sethe, a female slave in the 1800’s.
I have always believed that women were treated differently than men, especially during the slave era, but reading Beloved has allowed me to really see the treatment of women during that time. The book had broadened my perspective on woman and had me asking as to why men felt so superior than women? The book brings in more reasons for why I believe women are portrayed as objects to men. The flashbacks that Sethe has are real experiences she’s faced in the past which go into detail of the disturbing and cringing obstacles which she was faced with almost everyday. When I was taught about slavery, I don’t remember learning about the rapes and the extreme discomfort many of the slaves had to face. I remember only being taught about the difficult labor and violence that slaves faced. Beloved has broadened my perspective by teaching me about how most slaves were accurately treated during this time, especially woman.

Beloved has allowed my beliefs on the weakness of gender equality to become stronger and broader. The book has allowed me to learn about and visualize the discomfort of woman in the past and has made me see that what I believed in is a lot less worse than what the book actually described.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you say that this book made you realize how African American Women were treated. You should include more about the specific times were Sethe was mistreated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bringing outside context into your blog is very good. It helps us realize that we aren't told the entire truth about what actually happend to slaves. Beloved gives us the perspective of a women and its mind blowing how much women were mistreated. Is there any scenes in the book that stick out to you about the inequality?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you explain what this book has really thought you, and what is has helped you see clearly such as the mistreatment of African American women. And you tell us how your beliefs have shifted or stayed the same, really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this book has helped you open up your mind about what happened in the slave era and how you were unaware of how women were treated differently and mistreated. But like Ruth mentioned what part of the book stuck out to you the most?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely, I grew up thinking I knew everything about slavery, but after reading Beloved I learned the darker side of Slavery and the way women were treated. I love the take away that you understood after reading Beloved and how it has made you have a different mind set. (:

    ReplyDelete